What you need:
- 175g/6oz Self Raising Flour
- 175g/6oz Butter or Margarine (room temperature)
- 175g/6oz Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 4 tablespoons Instant Coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon Boiling Water, cooled
- 50g/2oz Chopped Walnuts (optional)
- Grease and base line tin or tins with greaseproof paper. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Place all ingredients for the cake – flour, butter/margarine, sugar, eggs, coffee and walnuts (if used) – into a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Transfer to prepared tin or tins and bake as follows:
Sandwich Tins – upper shelf position for 30 minutes approx
2lb Loaf Tin – central oven position for 50-60 minutes approx
Ring Tin – central oven position for 30 minutes approx
- Cake is baked when top is gently pressed and it springs back.
- Remove from tin and cool on a wire tray.
- When completely cool, make the icing by beating all ingredients together until smooth and use to sandwich the cake or for topping or both! Decorate with walnuts to finish.
- 250g/9oz Mascarpone Cheese
- 3 tablespoons Icing Sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon Camp Coffee Essence
- This recipe can be made in
- 2 x 18cm/7″ Sandwich Tins
- 1 x 2lb Loaf Tin (23cm x 11cm x 7cm/9″ x 4″ x 3″ approx)
- 1 x 23cm/9″ Ring Tin